England’s Bitter – she wants out of the EU and we all love a bitter british ale so why not brew something quintessentially british old boy like an English Bitter Ale to celebrate the Russian mayor of London, Boris calling on his fellow Brit’s to dessert the Eurozone and once again reign supreme as Great Britain and not little England. To add a subtle twist to the empire we have used new world malts from Gladfield Malt NZ and some home grown AU East Kent Goldings at flame-out in a hearty healthy dose to the kettle old chap! Cheers – let’s raise a glass to the Queen and Country and not discuss Race & Religion or Politics lest we be uncivilised old boy. Break out the Bitter!
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
designed by: Dermott Dowling on 2 April 2016
- A pale, bitter, medium-bodied Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale).
1.059 OG1.013 FG40 IBU11 SRM6.0% ABV
- 4.8kg 76% Gladfield Ale Malt
- 0.9kg 15% Gladfield Munich Malt (who let the German’s influence our brewing styles old chap?)
- 0.15kg 5% Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt
- 0.15kg 5% Gladfield Gladiator Malt
Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
- 30 gm Fuggle (UK) 60 min Boil Pellet 4.2%
- 20 gm East Kent Golding (UK) 60 min Boil Pellet 5.7%
- 5 gm Magnum (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 11.1% (and now the American’s want to join the British Tea Party! Brrr!)
- 10 gm East Kent Golding (UK) 15 min Boil Pellet 5.7%
- 20 gm Fuggle (UK) 5 min Boil Pellet 4.2%
- 200 gm East Kent Golding (UK) 0 min Boil Leaf 2.0%
40 gm Fuggle (UK) 2g/L 3 days Secondary Pellets 4.2% (Dry Hop)
30 gm East Kent Goldings (UK) 1.5g/L 3 days Secondary Pellets 4.2% (Dry Hop)
Type Amount (g) Use Time
- Irish Moss 5 Boil 10 mins
- Yeast Nutrient 5 Boil 10 mins
Name Amount (tsp)
- Calcium Sulfate 1
- Calcium Chloride 1
- Type Single Step Infusion Mash
- Temp 66.7 (C)
- Time Style 90 Infusion
- 60 minutes boil
Name Expected AA% Range Temp (C) Pitch Temp (C)
- Danstar Nottingham 4 75 16.7 – 23.3 20
- You could alternatively use a fresh GigaYeast British Ale #1 GY011 Gold Pitch
- Normal Ale Fermentation
- Cool to 20 C and keep temperature consistent for 7 Days
- After primary fermentation dry hop for 72 hours with 2g / L of Fuggles and 1.5g/L of EK Goldings UK Hops.
- Rack-off, condition and bottle or keg as per your normal bottling or kegging regime.
- Leave for 4-6 weeks to condition and enjoy – cheers chaps!