Roger our co-founder loves a good bold Hoppy Red Ale. Roger also loves his mighty West Coast Eagles so when the mighty Eagles lost the AFL Grand Final in spectacular fashion to the Hawks this year Roger saw Red!
We felt it was only appropriate the second edition of our 2015 Founder’s Reserve range of brews was in honour of Roger our co-founder so we pico-brewed him up a lovely hoppy red ale with lots of big bold dank and resinous Crosby Idaho #6 Experimental Hops from start to finish and a good strong double dry hopping as well for good measure. If you like Roger love a big bold Hoppy Red Ale you might like to have a crack at this recipe in your brewhouse or some other earlier hits like Russell’s Sunset Red IPA or can sit back Hoppy Red Ale in hand and watch Dave & Doug talk about brewing and malting the specialty limited release Mountain Goat India Red Ale which we have on good authority is coming soon again ….yipee….only on tap so stay tuned as this beer was in the top 10 Aussie craft beers on www.ratebeer.com in the year of release and won a silver medal in class 10D Other IPA @AIBA2014.
So on with the show and recipe…here you go Roger – have a Hoppy Red Ale and cheer up – there’s always next year mate for the Eagles 🙂
14.B American IPA – A dark, intensely bitter, medium-bodied American IPA.
- OG/FG/IBU 1.058 / 1.0145 / 65
- SRM 39
- ABV 5.7%
- Water: 14.12 L Water Batch Size: 9.46 L (picobrew – double everything for 19L brew length)
- Gladfield Pilsner 2 Row 1.5 Kg / 37.5%
- Gladfield Vienna Malt 1.5 Kg / 37.5%
- Voyager Special Roast 0.6 Kg / 15% You could use 0.3 Kg 7.5% Gladfield Shepherds Delight + 0.3 Kg 7.5% Gladfield Red Back (for red hue)
- Gladfield Wheat Malt 0.4 Kg / 10% (for head retention)
Type Amount (g) Alpha Acid % Time
Crosby Idaho #6 20 10.3 60 mins
Crosby Idaho #6 10 10.3 15 mins
Crosby Idaho #6 10 10.3 10 mins
Crosby Idaho #6 10 10.3 5 mins
3g of Irish Moss 10 mins remaining on the boil
- Calcium Sulfate 0.5 tsp
- Calcium Chloride 0.5 tsp
Mash Type Temp (C) Time Style
Single Step Infusion Mash 66.7 degrees C 90 mins (includes ramp up) Infusion
- 60 mins
Name Expected AA% Range Temp (C) Pitch Temp (C)
Danstar Nottingham 75 16.7 – 23.3 20
You could also use any of the following fine liquid GigaYeast strains:
- Normal Ale Fermentation
- Start at 18 C and let free ride up to 20 C and keep temperature consistent for 7-10 Days before starting dry hop at end of primary ferment
Double Dry Hopping:
Type Amount (g/L) Alpha Acid % Contact Time
- Crash chill after double dry hop to 0-2 C for 48 hours before kegging or bottling – Prost!