The Don may have torpedoed the TPP into the Pacific Ocean but we think there are oh so many reasons for the US and AU and NZ to get together and have a party in your mash tun! For one, it would be “Sweet As Bro” and we say ANZUS is an acronym for making the best of three countries brewing gifts so you can make our brewing world all the brighter!
The Trans Pacific Partners | BeerCo | American Wit-bier is anything but Belgian and it is loosely based on an American Wheat beer with a Portland Influence that flew across the Pacific and found Aussie and Kiwi Hops and Malt and fell in love just like you and your good friends will when they taste this delightful refreshing drop at your brew-house and taproom. So what do you say? Time to brew your own at home?
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21.0 L US 5 Gallon
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.061
- FG 1.011
- IBU 20
- ABV 6.7%
- Colour 8.5 EBC
- Balance – 0.32 IBU/SG Bitterness Ratio
- GY020 Portland Hefe GigaYeast (Liquid) 1 x Gold Pitch
- M21 Mangrove Jack’s (Dry) 2 x 11.5 g Sachets
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a mash of around 3 Litres of water to 1 Kg of grain (a liquor-to-grist ratio of about 3:1 by weight) and a temperature of 67 °C (152 °F).
- Hold the mash at 67 °C ( 152 °F ) until enzymatic conversion is complete.
- Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 76 °C (168 °F).
- Sparge slowly with 77 °C (170 °F ) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 24.4 L (6.5 gallons) and the gravity is 1.040 (10 °P).
- The total boil time will be 90 minutes.
- 70 minutes after the wort starts boiling, add the first addition of hops.
- Add Irish moss or other kettle finings with 10 minutes left in the boil.
- Add the last hop additions 5 minutes before shutting off the burner or electricity to cool the wort.
- Chill the wort rapidly to 18 °C (65 °F ), let the break material settle, rack to the fermenter, pitch the yeast and aerate thoroughly.
- Use 9 grams of properly re-hydrated dry yeast, 1 x liquid GigaYeast package, or make a starter.
- Ferment at 18 °C ( 65 °F ).
- When finished, carbonate the beer to approximately 2.5 volumes.