Instructions for use:
- Sanitise and rinse your Easy-Siphon.
- Get the inner tube gasket and the outer tube wet.
- Attach the curved syphon to a hose.
- Submerge the end of Easy-Siphon into your container.
- If bottling directly, attach the correct bottle for the tubing you are using and place it inside your bottle wand. Otherwise place the the tubing into the container you’re racking to.
- Pull the inner tube up about 18 cm (7″) until the liquid fills the tube.
- Pump the inner tube down and siphon will begin.
- Pull out inner tube and sanitise Easy-Siphon for storage.
- All Fermtech products which come into contact with beer or wine meet the European Regulation EC No. 1935/2004 and EU No. 10/2011.
- Fermtech uses plastics which are rated as Food Contact Grade Plastic and which adhere to FDA requirements.
The little flapper valve from the bottom fitting popped out
As long as one of the 2 little legs aren’t broken, this can be reinstalled with a little patience. Affix the valve to the end of a long stick or dowel (2 legs pointing away from the stick) with some sticky tape folded over. Make sure the tape is more stuck to the dowel than on the flapper or you may end up with tape on the inside of your Auto-Siphon!
Remove the Auto-Siphon center tube and insert the stick into the outer tube. Line up the legs with the 2 slots in the lower fitting and gently press in.
Starting the Auto-Siphon with a very full carboy
Insert The Auto-Siphon, slowly, with the small center tube extended outwards. This prevents overflowing! When submerged 6 inches or so, give it a stroke or two.
Sanitizing the Auto-Siphon
See answer under ‘The Thief’ or place The Auto-Siphon and the end of The Auto-Siphon hose in a bucket of sanitizing solution. Then pump the recirculating solution until you have eliminated all of the air.
My Auto-Siphon is drawing in air at the seal
The newer models (released Fall/2006) have much less tendency to do this. Check for a restriction at the anti-sediment tip caused by grape skins or hops. For the Large 1/2″ size you may have to reduce the siphoning height a bit to stop the bubbles, say, to 24″ to 30″ above floor level.
My Auto-Siphon is drawing in air at the hose connection
Use the recommended size hose, if available: 5/16″x7/16″ hose for Regular 3/8″ Auto-Siphons and 7/16″x9/16″ hose for Large 1/2″ Auto-Siphons. If you can’t find the exact size you may need to purchase a small hose clamp at the hardware store for the connection, if it leaks air
The Siphon Valve
I’m in the middle of bottling and the phone rings; what do I do?
Slide your filler through the carboy neck. The siphon will stop but will restart when you retrieve the filler and place it in your bottle. If you are using an Auto-Siphon Clamp, slide it through the Clamp opening.