Red Back Wheat Malt is a strictly LIMITED RELEASE unique specialty crystal wheat malt made by Gladfield. It is prepared by a special process before going into the roaster, where it is roasted to favour certain maillard reactions which cause the malt to produce a lovely red hue in the resulting beer without the opalescence that can occur with other similar malts.
Red Back Wheat is a unique specialty limited release malt. Use in place of Wheat Malt noting it has NO Diastatic Power or as a added colour body and foam addition to some of your favourite “Brewing with Wheat” beer styles.
- Colour: 27 EBC
- How does it taste? The flavour in a “malt tea” is fairly mild – lightly bready/toasty with a raisin/dry cranberry type finish to it.
- Aroma: Lightly fruity & bready.
Typical Uses & Styles:
- Munich Dunkel
Usage Rate Guidance:
- 10-15% if this was the sole specialty malt in your brew. There is no Diastatic power to come with this malt.
- 1Kg Bags
- 25Kg bags
At least one year when stored properly in dry conditions
Brewing Recipes Ideas:
- Hefeweizen with a mix of 50% German Pilsner Malt then 25% Red Back Wheat and 25% Wheat Malt.
- Kölsch with a mix of 93% German Pilsner Malt and 7% Red Back Wheat.
- Vienna Lager with a mix of 65% Gladfield Vienna Malt 25% Gladfield Munich Malt 10% Gladfield German Pilsner Malt and 10% Gladfield Red Back Wheat Malt
Tell us what you brew and how it turns out and if its a hit for you we can share it in our recipe library – send your winning recipes to email@example.com