Harvest | Saison | BeerCo Recipe Kit
Harvest – Saison – BeerCo Recipe Kit is a traditional Wallonian harvest ale brewed with Gladfield Pilsner, Munich and Wheat Malts, hopped with US Willamette and GR Hallertauer Mittelfruher and fermented with your choice of either GigaYeast GY018 Saison #1 or #2 Liquid Yeast or Lallemand Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast. Refreshing, in balance and true to style this beer is just as thirst quenching for the modern IT office worker after a hard day on the keyboard as it was for the Wallonian farm worker after a hard days work on the scythe at Harvest time! Santé!
Saison was the traditional beer of choice for the farm workers in Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium. Originally brewed at the end of the cool season to last through the warmer months of Harvest before refrigeration was common. Saison stle beers had to be sturdy enough to last for months but not too strong to be quenching and refreshing in the summer after a hard days work on the farms of Wallonia. It is now brewed year-round in tiny, artisanal breweries whose buildings reflect their origins as farmhouses.
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21.0 L US 5 Gallon
- Boil Time: 90 min
- OG 1.055
- FG 1.010
- IBU 31
- ABV 6%
- Colour 5 SRM / 3 EBC
- Balance – 0.57
|50.0 g||Willamette US Hops||40 min|
|10.0 g||Hallertauer Tradition GR Hops||20 min|
|10.0 g||Hallertauer Tradition GR Hops||10 min|
- GY018 Saison #1 GigaYeast (Liquid) 1 x Gold Pitch or
- GY027 Saison #2 GigaYeast (Liquid) 1 x Gold Pitch
Danstar Belle Saison Beer Yeast (Dry) 2 x 11.5 g Sachets
- Mash – the brewer should do normal mash regime, mashing at 67 C for at least 60 mins
- Sparge – once again the brewer should do normal regime at around 75C
- Boil – vigorous boil for 60-90 mins
- Add Willamette US Hops @40 mins, 10g of Hallertauer Tradition GR Hops GR Hops @20mins and 10g of Hallertauer Tradition GR Hops at 0 mins.
- Yeast & Fermentation – Aerate well and ferment at 23C until FG is reached
- Yeast off, mature for 19 days before carbonating.
Commercial Craft Beer Examples:
Saison Dupont Vieille Provision; Fantôme Saison D’Erezée – Printemps; Saison de Pipaix; Saison Regal; Saison Voisin; Lefebvre Saison 1900; Ellezelloise Saison 2000; Saison Silly; Southampton Saison; New Belgium Saison; Pizza Port SPF 45; Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale; Ommegang Hennepin; La Sirene Saison; Bridge Road Brewers – Chevalier – Saison