IDAHO 7 ™ US Hops Crop 2016 T90 Hop Pellets are sourced from Lot # P-506 from the highly innovative and experimental family owned Jackson Hops in Caldwell, Idaho.
IDAHO #7™ US Hops has strawberry, melon, canned pineapple, white grape and unique peach aroma. Deep searching and a little warming lead to peach, tangerine, and perhaps white grape. Aroma is mild with subtle hints of pine. Complex fruity aromas of orange and apricot mesh with hints of black tea-like character and a pleasant fresh herbal bouquet.
IDAHO 7 ™ US Hops flavour shine with strong white grape, dark orange, clementine, tangerine and mango burst. Peach and pear join the fun towards the tail end, which finishes very dry.
This Lot #P-506 from Jackson Idaho 7 ™ Hop is pelleted @CrosbyHopFarm. Crosby Type-90 Hop Pellets are a softer “craft pellet”. These pellets are approximately 20% less dense than industry standard pellets. The soft pellet comes apart quickly when used as a dry hop, and provides better hop utilization.
The low pelletizing temperatures also work to preserve hop oils, aromatics, and alpha.
- Type 90 Pellets
- Dual Purpose
- Citrus – High
- Tropical Fruit – High
- Stone fruit – Medium (Peach)
- Floral – Medium (White Grape)
- Berry – Low
- Hint of Pine
- Citrus – High
- Pine Resin – High
- Dank – Medium
- Floral – Medium
- Stone fruit – Low
- Woody Tobacco – Very Low
Typical Beer Styles
- American-style Ales
- Golden Ale
- Pale Ale
- American Wheat
- First released in 2014.
- Storage Stability 60 – 65% alpha remaining after 6 months.
Typical Brewing Specification:
- Alpha Acids 14.6%
- Beta Acids 4.7%
- Co-Humulone %
- Total Oil 1.3%
- Myrcene % of total oil
- Humulene % of total oil
- Caryophyllene % of total oil
- Farnesene < 1% of total oil
General Trade Perception
Idaho #7 is an excellent flavour hop with a strong white grape and mango profile. Works great in American IPA/Pale Ale, and could probably work well in American Wheat, Golden ale, and other American styles.
Craft Beer Examples Using Idaho #7 Hops
- Cavalier Brewing – Idaho IPA
- Sierra Nevada Harvest Single Hop IPA – Idaho 7 Varietal
- Pearl Street Grill Brewery New York 007 IPA
- McMenamins Solar Sail IPA
- Dogfish Head Alternate Takes #1 DIPA brewed with Centennial, Warrior, and Idaho 7 hops. A deep golden hue, greets you with notes of tropical fruits in the aroma – pineapple, papaya, and passion fruit – and a malty, apricot sweetness with each sip. Finishing almost tea-like. Citrusy and fruity, one quenching Double IPA.
- Troegs – Pale Ale (Idaho 7) – Scratch Series beer 5.7% ABV / 56 IBU – Malts: Melanoidin, Oats, Pilsner, Vienna Hops: Idaho 7 Yeast: House Ale – The recently developed Idaho 7 hop variety features a mild aroma of orange and apricot with hints of black tea leaves. Fruity flavors reminiscent of melon and peach develop, followed by a dry, peppery finish.
Home Brew Recipes Using Idaho #7 Hops
Recipe #1 is a Single Hop and Single Malt beer consisting of Gladfield American Ale 2-Row and the Idaho #7. Malt bill, hop schedule and vital statistics are as follows…
- Gladfield Malts: American Ale 85%, Wheat Malt 8%, Toffee Malt 5%, Sour Grapes Acidulated 2%
- First Wort Hop- 2 #’s Idaho 7
- 60 Min- 2 #’s Idaho 7
- 75 Min- 3 #’s 007 Idaho 7
- Knock Out- 3.5 #’s 007 Idaho 7
- Dry Hop- 5 #’s Idaho 7
- GigaYeast Nor Cal Ale #1 GY001
Vital Stats: OG: 1.063 TG: 1.010 ABV: 6.84 IBU: 75
Recipe #2 is an AIPA dry hopped with Idaho #7 pellets. Malt bill, hop schedule and vital statistics are as follows…
- Gladfield Malts- 88% American Ale Malt 12% Vienna Malt
- First Wort Hop- 2 #’s Crosby Chinook
- 90 Min- .50 # Crosby Chinook
- 60 Min- 3 #’s Crosby Chinook
- Knock Out- 3.5 #’s Centennial 3.75 #’s of Crosby Chinook
- Dry Hop- 4 #’s Idaho #7 Pellets
- GigaYeast Vermont IPA Yeast GY054
Vital Stats: OG: 1.062 TG: 1.010 ABV: 6.71 IBU: 75 SRM: 4
Recipe #3 is an APA hopped with Idaho #7 pellets. Malt bill, hop schedule and vital statistics are as follows…
- 90% Gladfield American Ale 2-row
- 5% Gladfield Gladiator Malt
- 5% Gladfield Red Back Malt
- 27 IBU bittering addition at 60 minutes of Crosby Nugget hops
- 12 IBU addition Idaho #7 at 20 min
- 7 IBU addition Idaho #7 at 10 min
- 0 IBU addition Idaho #7 at flameout/whirlpool (5 min whirlpool, 20min rest, inline knockout to FV)
- Fermented at 68F with Fermentis Safale US-05.
- Optional Dry Hop or Double Dry Hop with 2g/L of Idaho #7 for 72 hours after primary fermentation / racking / condition and then bottle or keg
Vital Stats: OG 1.067, FG 1.011 7.4% ABV, 45 IBU, 6.5 SRM