Gladfield Malt take their top quality Canterbury, NZ distilling barley varieties and smoke it over 100% Manuka wood from the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
Gladfield Manuka Smoke Malt is smooth and overlaid with floral, sweet characteristics. Manuka Smoke Malt can be used either for brewing or distilling.
Perfect for a Kiwi twist to a Rauchbier or in any other beer style where a level of smokiness is required. Manuka Smoke Malt can be used anywhere from 1% to 100% depending on the required smoke level.
Manuka Smoke malt is also excellent when distilled, and imparts a smooth, natural smokiness with distinct manuka notes to the finished whisky that is unique to New Zealand.
Gladfield Manuka Smoke Malt is a truly unique malt using a native tea tree to New Zealand long revered for its therapeutic properties by indigenous and modern day New Zealand.
EBC Test Method Specification Typical Analysis
- Moisture (max)% 5 3.8
- Extract – Fine Dry min% 79 81.5
- Extract – Coarse Dry 80.5
- Extract – Fine As-is 78.8
- Extract – Coarse As-is 77.7
- Saccharification time 10 10
- Odour normal
- Wort Colour (EBC) 3.0 – 5.0 3.9
- Total Nitrogen (%) 1.35 – 1.65 1.5
- Kolbach Index 35 – 41 40.5
- pH 5.7 – 6.1 6.0
- Diastatic Power (WK) min.
- FAN (mg/l) min 120 135
- Friability (min) % 85 95
- Glassy Corns (max) % 0.4
- P.U.G (max) % 0.8
Typical Use & Styles:
- Adds unique Manuka Smoke taste to beers
- Smoke Beer Styles
- Smoke Marzen – see home brew example here: Manuka Smokin Marzen from 4 Dogz Brewery
- Smoke Porter – see Kunekune | Manuka Smoke Porter | BeerCo Recipe Kit
- Smoke Pale Ale
- Smoke IPA – see home brew example here: Smokin Joe All Blacks IPA Craft Beer Example here: Doctors Orders | Anaphylaxsis | Manuka Smoke Chipotle Black IPA
- Rauchbier – Craft beer example here: Napoleone Brewers | Rauchbier
Guidance Usage rate:
- Up to 100% of the grist
- 1 Kg Bags
- 25 Kg Bags
At least one year when stored properly in dry conditions.