Gladfield Pilsner malt is made from 2 row English and European bred barley varieties. Only plump low protein barley is used which allows for higher extract potential and helps eliminate potential protein haze issues in the beer.
The plumpness and even germination along with low protein gives highly friable malt and care must be taken not to over crush. Protein modification is kept relatively low with out compromising overall quality of the malt. These attributes’ make Gladfield Pilsner malt well suited for craft brewing, the lower protein modification improves mouth feel and head retention.
Carefully controlled kilning gives a nice malty character with out too much colour. Gladfield Pilsner malt has sufficient diastatic power to convert the addition of 10-20% coloured malts but it is not designed for large amounts of unmalted adjuncts. It is important that mash pH is controlled properly to obtain the best efficiencies and desired outcomes.
Gladfield Pilsner malt has sufficient diastatic power to convert the addition of 10-20% coloured malts, however it is not designed for large amounts of unmalted adjunct. It is important for the brewer to properly control mash pH to obtain the best efficiency and desired brewing outcomes.
Specification (EBC Test Method)
- Moisture (%) Max 5 Typical Analysis 3.5
- Extract – Fine Dry min% 79 Typical Analysis 81
- Extract – Coarse Dry Typical Analysis 80.8
- Extract – Fine As-is Typical Analysis 78.5
- Saccharification time 10 Typical Analysis 10
- Odour Typical Analysis normal
- Wort Colour 3.2-4.0 Typical Analysis 3.8
- Total Nitrogen (%) 1.40 – 1.70 Typical Analysis 1.6
- Kolbach Index 35.0-41.0 Typical Analysis 39
- pH 5.7-6.0 Typical Analysis 6.0
- Diastatic Power (WK) min. 240 Typical Analysis 250
- FAN (mg/l) min 120 Typical Analysis 130
- Friability (min) % 85 Typical Analysis 94
- Glassy Corns (max) % 2 Typical Analysis 0.6
- P.U.G (max) % 5 Typical Analysis 1.0
Base malt for any beer style, light in colour with a sweet clean flavour.
Guidance Usage Rate:
- Up to 100%
- All Malts
- 5 Kg bag
- 25 Kg bag
At least one year when stored properly in dry conditions